Friday, June 26, 2009

Letter To President Obama

Dear President Obama,

I worked very hard for you on the campaign trail. I canvassed. I called people. I covered my car in stickers. And now, I regret all of it. I'm a married, straight woman. I don't look like the typical GLBT ally. But I am. And your total disregard for their rights, most notably your reversal of your position on the Defense of Marriage Act, is disgraceful. The gay and lesbian community supported you during the election only to have you turn your back on them. It is ridiculous that a segment of the population is STILL being discriminated against all these years after the birth of the civil rights movement. Think about that for one moment. Without the civil rights movement, you would never be sitting in that oval office. Why are gay people any different? They deserve the right to be happy. I have so many friends here in South Florida who not only can't marry, but they can't even ADOPT CHILDREN because of close-minded, bigoted legislation. It's against what this country stands for. It's in direct conflict to what you stood for during your campaign.

I'm deeply disappointed in you. Unless you speak out on behalf of gay rights and reach out to the badly hurting and betrayed GLBT community, I will not be voting for you in 2012, even if it means I have to vote for a Republican or an Indepedent for the very first time in my life.

Sincerely,

Amy Doucette

No comments: