Monday, January 14, 2008

Part One of Two: Our Louis XIV Show Experiences

...a.k.a. We love Brian...

In the grand tradition of the rockchicks, we are going to tell everyone about our trips to Louis XIV shows.  I will start, since my show was on Tuesday and Elaine's was on Friday.  Here goes...

My husband and I got there pretty early.  There was one person ahead of us in line.  The line grew and grew.  I stood there with a plastic container of choc. chip cookies I had made the guys. I saw Brian after we were waiting for about half an hour.  I ran over, gave him a quick hug and gave him the cookies.  He said, "You rock, Ames!!"  (I know, I know...sad...but I figure they don't get much homemade food on tour, and cookies count as homemade food, right?)  Anyway...they finally open the doors and for the first time in my life, I am on "the list."  I've never been on "the list."  

But I'm not on the list.

The Russian bouncer/douchebag at the door gruffly tells me, "You are not on the list."  

Gahhhhh!!  

So, I'm near tears.  The line is REALLLLLLLLY long at this point.  We go...to the end.  There is another door at the end of the line that is made of glass.  I peer in, and there are the boys, up on stage.  I tap on the door and another bouncer (who probably thinks I'm psycho, but who the hell cares?) answers, looking at me like I'm a nutjob.  I yell at the guys over the bouncer's shoulder.  (yeah, I did.)

"Brian!  I'm not on the list!!"

Brian, looking shocked, (and slightly amused that I managed to finagle past the bouncer) says, "You are!  I promise!"  Jason, strumming his guitar, adds, "You are.  I saw it.  It was there." (found that pretty amusing in spite of my panic.)

OK.  So, we go up to the front of the line, and a nicer woman in obscenely small shorts (once you are over 38 or so, shorts that tiny should be outlawed) tells me that the list they have is for the Editors, not the other two bands.  Ohhh, OK.  Still sucked, but not the end of the world. So, we waited while what seemed like 900 people go in before us.  I watched them open the doors inside to where the stage was, and saw my front row prospects go out the window.  

Finally, we get in.  I look everywhere for the guys, with no luck.  Show starts.  We did wind up very close to the stage, and I ended up standing next to a badass girl who knew all the words and was rockin' out too.  Very Cool.  They played an AWESOME set.  Old stuff, new stuff, violins, pounding drums, wailing guitars, Jason and Brian and the gang just up there having a great time and sipping red wine between songs.  I did get *slightly* perturbed when he was bantering to the crowd and said that it was their first time in Florida.  I'm sure alcohol contributed to the slight slip-up.  At least he got the city right and didn't say, like..."Hello, Cleveland!" or something.  

After the show, I hung around anxiously waiting to see the guys.  We waited.  and waited.  and waited.

and waited.

No sign of the guys.  I know they usually come out and hang after the show and mingle.  No luck.  I was starting to get really bummed out.  Finally, my husband and I left the club.  Hot Hot Heat had started playing and there was still not a sign of the boys.  We walked out to the car and I was devastated.  I couldn't leave without saying goodbye!!!  Let alone hello!!  So, I decided to give it one more shot.  We walked back to the door.  We stand there and more people are coming in (the IDIOTS that missed the Louis set.  losers!!)  and the douchebag at the door just ignores us.  Suddenly, my husband says, "There's Jason!"  

Jason was sauntering up past the people in line, from the glass door.  Some chick starts talking to him.   I tell my husband out of the side of my mouth, "He is NOT getting back into the club..."  I repeat the mantra, because I really wanted to say goodbye to Brian before we left.  He starts back into the club and I jump out.  "Hey!!"  He instantly recognizes me and smiles.  I show him my tattoo, which the guys have yet to see in person.  He is stoked.  We take a photo.   I look like a bloated, beached whale, but Jason looks great.  I ask him where Brian is, because we can't stay long and I want to say good bye.  He points us around to the alley and tells us to knock on the tour bus.   Umm...Ohhhhhhh-Kay.

We walk around, and the guys (Awesome, sweet, happy Mark and ever-serious Jimmy, who seems to hate my guts with a fire of a thousand suns) are loading their amps and drums and such into the bus.  (Mark's sparkly drum set is so damn cool, did I mention that?) We stand there.  And wait.  And wait.  I felt really kind of stupid, like I was some random groupie. FINALLY, out comes Brian.  I hear him say, "Where's my friend Amy?!"  I call out, and we finally get to hang out with Brian.  Yay Brian.

OK, warning: about to geek out.  **I FINALLY MADE IT ON TO THE TOUR BUS!**  We went on the bus and I took a photo.  You can see my cookies in the picture.  lol.  We hang out for about 20 minutes, chatting with Brian and Mark and the violin guy and such.  I'm ridiculously happy.

We exit the bus a while later, stickers and posters in hand, which added to the poster I stole off the wall of the club.  We hang out with Brian for another half an hour outside.  Mark comes back out and gives us both (my husband and I) a hug.  Love Mark.  We chat some more.  We talk about our iphones, the new album, the Vegas show, Brian's chick, Brian's hair, the baby, etc. 

It was the best night I've had in a LOOOOONG time.  I can't say enough how nice the guys in Louis XIV are.  They are a great band with freakin' fantastic music, and they are ALWAYS so gracious and welcoming and funny and sweet.  Especially Brian.  Brian, if you are reading this, you are one of my favorite people on the planet.   

I CAN'T WAIT FOR MARCH!  THE ROCKCHICKS WILL BE BACK, BABY!  HAHHHH!  

Here are my photos.  I was going to photoshop myself out of the one with Jason, but oh well:  

Mrs. big boobs & Jason









On the tour bus.  Yay.
See the cookies?









What a cool guy.




No comments: