Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Bye, Charlie.

I have never mentioned him here, but my parents dog Charlie was one of the best dogs, the happiest dogs, the sweetest dogs, I've ever known. He even saved my life once. He died yesterday of a birth defect. My family knew it was there when they got him from the shelter, but they had to take him home. He lived for three years before an infection finally stole him from us.

People who don't have dogs won't understand the ache this loss has left sitting inside me. I never got to say goodbye. People who do have dogs get that they are family. This one was special. He had the nuttiest, most loving personality. He will be VERY sorely missed by me, my husband, and the rest of my family.

There won't ever be another Charlie.

1 comment:

Mrs. M-W said...

My neighbors had to put their dog of 12 years down in September. She had a liver disease. They kept her alive as long as they could. My neighbor is in therapy and drinks more now than she did. (If that was even possible.) I am sorry for Charlie. (One for me, one for Charlie)